Grilled Flatbread Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Pears, and Gorgonzola Cheese
- ¾ cups warm water (105-110 degrees F)
- ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 to 2 ¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons Organic Tuscan Herb EVOO
- (plus 1-2 tablespoons more for oiling the bowl and brushing over the dough before grilling)
- 4 cups thinly sliced red onion (about 1 large)
- 1 tablespoon Organic Tuscan Herb EVOO
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup Aged Cinnamon-Pear Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 ripe pear, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- In a large measuring cup mix water and yeast. Let stand for a few minutes until bubbly. Whisk in ½ cup of flour. Cover and let stand for about an hour. Place yeast mixture in the bowl of a stand mixer (with paddle beater attached); add the salt and Organic Tuscan Herb EVOO. Gradually add the flour ¼ cup at a time until dough ball forms. Remove paddle beater and attach the dough hook. Allow mixer to “knead” the dough for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic (dough should not be sticking to the sides of bowl – add additional flour if necessary). Remove dough from bowl and place in a well-oiled bowl. Cover and let rise for about 1 ½ hours. Punch down dough and divide into 2 equal dough balls. Cover and let rise for an additional 30 minutes.
- Prepare Caramelized Onions: Place onions and Organic Tuscan Herb EVOO in a large sauté pan. Stir in salt and pepper. Cook for 45-60 minutes over medium-low heat (stirring frequently) until onions soften and turn golden brown. Stir in Aged Cinnamon Pear Balsamic Vinegar and cook for an additional 30 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat grill (medium high heat); clean grates well and liberally coat with oil. While grill is heating, sprinkle workspace with flour and gently flatten dough ball. Stretch into desired shape. Brush both sides with Organic Tuscan Herb EVOO. Repeat with additional dough ball. Place dough directly on prepared grates and grill both sides until lightly browned. Remove from grill and spread with onion mixture, pear slices, and crumbled Gorgonzola cheese. Place back on the grill (close lid) and cook until cheese begins to melt. Serve immediately.
A Twist On Olives http://www.atwistonolives.com/