Tomato Basil Soup with Asiago Croutons
- 2 tablespoons Organic Basil EVOO
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounces canned San Marzano (or plum) tomatoes
- 3 cups beef or chicken stock
- ¼ cup basil, packed and roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons Aged Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream, warmed
- 8 (1 inch) slices of ciabatta bread
- 1 tablespoon Organic Basil EVOO
- 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- Chopped basil, for garnishing
- In a large stockpot, sauté 2 tablespoons Basil EVOO and chopped onions over medium heat for about 5 minutes (or until onions have softened and are translucent). Add minced garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, stock, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, Aged Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring often to help breakdown the whole tomatoes (use the back of a wooden spoon). Slowly whisk in warmed heavy cream.
- Asiago Croutons: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly brush both sides of the ciabatta bread slices. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle each slice of bread with about 1 tablespoon Asiago cheese. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown and crisp. Remove from the oven and slice into croutons.
- To serve: Ladle desired amount of soup into each bowl. Top with prepared Asiago croutons, additional Asiago cheese, and chopped basil. Enjoy!
A Twist On Olives http://www.atwistonolives.com/