A Twist on Olives is excited to announce Twisted Tuesdays! Every Tuesday we will feature a new recipe highlighting one (or more) of our products. As a gift to our customers we will offer a 10% discount on the featured product(s) for that week only. This is a great way to try a new flavor or stock-up on a product you already love!!
It’s still soup season at A Twist on Olives! We were looking to create a creamy soup recipe that is not only dairy free but also 100% vegan. This week’s Twisted Tuesday recipe, Coconut Cream Mushroom Soup, features our Milanese Gremolata EVOO and Traditional Balsamic Vinegar.
Most creamy soups are created by introducing a roux (cooked flour and butter) with whole milk or even whipping cream. For the health conscious or those trying to avoid dairy, our version skips the saturated fat heavy dairy. No butter. No milk or cream. Our first “twist” is to sauté almost 2 pounds of sliced mushrooms in our Milanese Gremolata EVOO. After reserving some of the sautéed mushrooms, we then added vegetable stock and cream of coconut to the remaining mushrooms. The mixture is then pureed until smooth and finished by adding the reserved mushrooms back to the creamy soup base. The soup is finished with a drizzle of our delicious Traditional Balsamic Vinegar and fresh thyme.
Stop in the store this week to receive 10% off our Milanese Gremolata EVOO and Traditional Balsamic Vinegar. We hope to see you soon!
- 3 tablespoons Milanese Gremolata EVOO
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon Traditional Style Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat stock pot over medium-high heat. Add Milanese Gremolata EVOO and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and sauté another 1-2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and 1 ½ teaspoons thyme; continue sautéing for 10-15 or until mushrooms reduce in volume by half (most of the liquid should have evaporated). Remove 1 ½ cups of sautéed mushrooms; set aside.
- To the remaining mushrooms, add vegetable stock and coconut cream. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth (or use a hand immersion blender directly in the pan). Add pureed mushroom to stockpot and stir in Traditional Balsamic Vinegar and reserved mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls and sprinkle with fresh thyme.